Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:36:06 -0500

ken wrote:
 > Here is my $0.02 on this topic:
 >
 > - Lyndon is completely correct in assessment of how email has changed; like
 >   he says, nmh is based on how things used to be.  It's time we dealt better
 >   with the new world order.
 >
 > In that vein, here's what I propose for future changes:
 >
 > - We supply all of the component templates with the appropriate line to
 >   incorporate nmh's idea of the local mailbox.   This may require an mhl
 >   extension, and we'll need to run "comp"'s template through mhl.
 > - We allow the user to configure a local mailbox name in the .mh_profile.
 > - If this entry doesn't exist, it's constructed like it is done today
 >   (using localname out of mts.conf plus username, falling back to username +
 >   local domainname).  Well, okay, how it was done without REALLYDUMB.
 > - If a draft gets fed to post without a From: header, kick back an error.
 >   This will have to be intelligent to deal with existing users with old
 >   component files.

this is probably obvious, but since we're proposing scripting
solutions to the 'choose correct From:  for a reply" problem, i'd like
to nominate this (i.e., scripting) for new messages as well.  again,
the point being that there often isn't "a local mailbox name" -- there
are many of them, and choosing one can be done in various ways.  asking
the user is one way, running a script another.

paul