Re: [Nmh-workers] More configuration stuff (acconfig.h)

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] More configuration stuff (acconfig.h)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 15:09:50 -0500

>> REALLYDUMB   - What this does is prevent adrsprintf() from appending a
>>                local hostname if a username doesn't have one.  You know,
>>                I really think this should be a run-time option instead.
>>                Anyone care if I make it so it is?  (The default can
>>                be off to match current behavior).
>
>Shouldn't this be the decision of the message submission agent?

You mean .... nmh? :-) I think you're thinking of the normal "host
part of a managed domain" situation, but I & others use nmh in
plenty of other situations.

>For instance, the MSA has a much better idea of what the domain part of the
>address should look like.  I'd argue for ripping it out altogether.

Well, REALLYDUMB is literally one line.  The problem is if you're on your
laptop travelling and you email to "bob", the email ends up being addressed
to "address@hidden".  There aren't wonderful solutions here.

Hm, maybe I'm wrong after all ... REALLYDUMB is only used by adrsprintf(),
and that's only used by "post".  Let me think about this a bit.

>> RPATHS               - Construct Return-Path headers from "From " lines.
>>                I say keep it, since it's been around forever (a fair
>>                amount of code, actually).
>
>I'm going to argue for the removal of this code, as well.  The Return-Path
>header should be inserted by the delivering MTA, and I can't think of any
>modern MTA that doesn't.

Okay, I can be persuaded here.  I see that email we have locally has both
a Return-Path and a From line.  If I read things correctly this code also
adds a Delivery-Date, but I am wondering if anyone uses that.

>I still receive (and send) the occasional message with externals.  But the
>internal FTP support should be nuked.  It doesn't handle any of the modern
>FTP extensions (authentication, UTF8, modern file listing).

I think we're on the same page here.