Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh "post" doesn't read profile, fileproc ignored

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh "post" doesn't read profile, fileproc ignored
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:23:01 -0500

>> > In nmh 1.3 (and 1.4-RC2), the "post" program doesn't read the
>> > user's profile file.  It is quite deliberate about this, calling
>> > context_foil().  Why?
>> >
>> > The result I see is that post does not obey my fileproc profile
>> > entry, contrary to the documentation in the mh-profile man page.
>> >
>> You're right.  I don't know why it doesn't read the user's
>> profile.  It should be a simple change to the code and the
>> post man page.  Can anyone think of a reason not to fix post?
>>

>I've noticed this too.  At one point I was trying to harvest e-mail
>addresses I sent mail to so that I could auto-add them to a spam white-list.
>
>Do we have e-mail archives or SCM data that can help us track this down?

Of course we do!

% git blame -L 335,338 post.c

Shows ... the blame lies with Doug Morris.  Actually, that's not
right.  It shows it as 1691e80890e5d8ba258c51c214a3e91880e1db2b,
which is the initial revision into the SourceForge CVS tree.  So
it's been that way since 1999.  That's the limit of the revision history
we have; we don't have any of the history from Richard Coleman's work.

Was it that way back with MH-6.8?  Hmm, it seems that it was ... although
back then it called m_foil(), which did the same thing.  Any of the old
farts still around want to speak up?