Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh in near, medium, and far-term

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh in near, medium, and far-term
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 15:43:54 -0500

>> - For those of you who care about this, do you have any thoughts about how
>>   a mapping from an MH message number to a particular Maildir filename
>>   would work?  At first glance that's the thing that leaps out at me
>>   as the most obvious problem without a simple solution.
>
>agreed, this is the major thing that stops UW-IMAP from being a good MH
>back end, too. i suspect that we'll be building a .db (or .dir/.pag)
>file per folder that maps the UIDL from the Maildir file name to a
>static number, so that things like "pack" and "sortm" can still have
>useful work to do.

Alright, I'll the limits of my knowledge here.  UIDL is a POP thing,
right?  Do you mean UID when talking about IMAP?

It seems that IMAP has the concept of a "message sequence number",
which is a number from 1 to the number of messages in a folder; that
might be the right thing to use.  Of course it's not clear to me how
Dovecot maps a message number into a particular filename; I'll have to
look at that.