Re: [Nmh-workers] indexing

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] indexing
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 22:04:07 -0500

>hi all.  i havn't worked on mh in quite a while.  i sent kenh some patches
>to use locking on the 'context' files back in 2003 and i see that those made
>it in.  previously i guess it had been a REALLY long time since i hacked mh:

Glad to see you're still using nmh, Paul!

>noting that slocal already links to either db, ndbm, or gdbm (according to
>[...]

So, when people talk about integrating nmh and IMAP, there are two distinct
problems that people want to attack (AFAICT):

1) They want to have nmh and <insert your IMAP server here) read the same
   message store, generally by having the IMAP server know about the nmh
   folder format and pointing to to your home directory (which like
   you said, some IMAP servers already sorta do, but there are
   issues).
2) They want to use the nmh commands to access their IMAP folders.  So
   "show" would talk to an IMAP server, scan would look through all of your
   mailboxes on the IMAP server ... you get the idea.

Long-time participants on this list already know all this; I'm just
bringing everyone to the same page.

As I understand it, what you want to solve is 1).  I personally
wouldn't find that useful myself (because the IMAP server I would
use wouldn't have access to my nmh mailboxes), but certainly plenty
of people have asked about doing that, and I'm all for making nmh
more useful to people.  Also, I don't think that doing 1) precludes
doing 2).

So, from what I understand this would require modifications to the IMAP
server, right?  To know about these indexes?  As long as you've got the
IMAP server vendors on board, then I guess I don't see any issues with
that at all.  Sounds like a great idea to me, and it sounds like it's
actually doable without a huge amount of work.

What do others think?

(BTW, just as an aside ... when my wife asked me why I was up so late,
I said I was replying to an email from Paul Vixie.  Her response:
"Wait, _THE_ Paul Vixie?"  And no, she was NOT being sarcastic).