Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] undo of install-mh (Debian bug #551704)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] undo of install-mh (Debian bug #551704)
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 20:46:17 +0000

markus schnalke wrote:
>the attached patch tries to fix Debian bug #551704 [0].
>
>[0] http://bugs.debian.org/551704
>
>Knowing that a uninstall-mh command is surely impossible to create, I
>extended the man page instead. I also fixed the CONTEXT section there.

Well, you could undo the effects:
 * if there's no profile file, we're not installed anyway
 * if there is, then it will tell us where the Mail
   directory is
 * so rm -rf Mail (with a big fat warning!)
 * and delete the profile file

In fact (modulo the warning and checking we were installed in
the first place!) it's a shell one-liner:
   rm -rf "${MH:-~/.mh-profile}" "$(mhpath +)"

I'm not totally sure we want to provide an easy way for
the user to blow away their mail, though :-)

However, if you're going to document in the manpage
how to clean things up you should document the
correct way that doesn't rely on assumptions about
the directory name and so on.

-- PMM