Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: nmh is Ncurses-based?

From: bergman
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: nmh is Ncurses-based?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:38:19 -0500

In the message dated: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:15:18 PST,
The pithy ruminations from Rick Moen on
<[Nmh-workers] Re: nmh is Ncurses-based?> were:
=> Quoting address@hidden (address@hidden):
=>
=> > http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/muas.html says that nmh is Ncurses-based.
=> > Is that true? If so,What does it mean?
=> >
=> >     Norman Shapiro
=> >     798 Barron Avenue
=> >     Palo Alto CA 94306-3109
=> >     (650) 565-8215
=> >     address@hidden
=>
=> Hi, Norm.  Apologies if that page (which is mine) was misleading:
=> Because the page details MUAs on (specifically) Linux, it gives
=> Linux-centric information.  nmh when built on Linux platforms will
=> strongly tend to use ncurses.

Huh? I've never seen nmh use ncurses in ~13 years of Linux use, though I don't
recall when I switched from mh to nmh. This includes slackware & various RedHat
flavors (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora).

Maybe the use of ncurses is only present in Debian (and derivitave)
distributions.

As of today, on this box:

        % cat /etc/issue
        Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)

        % uname -a
        Linux mirchi 2.6.27.38-170.2.113.fc10.x86_64

        % rpm -qi nmh
        Name        : nmh                          Relocations: (not
relocatable)
        Version     : 1.3                               Vendor: Fedora Project
        Release     : 1.fc10                        Build Date: Thu 19 Jun 2008
01:41:22 PM EDT
        Install Date: Tue 20 Jan 2009 01:29:16 AM EST      Build Host: x86-4
        Group       : Applications/Internet         Source RPM:
nmh-1.3-1.fc10.src.rpm
        Size        : 5776723                          License: BSD
        Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 29 Oct 2008 12:15:40 AM EDT, Key ID
bf226fcc4ebfc273

        % ldd `rpm -ql nmh|egrep "bin|lib"`|grep curse

Nope. None of the nmh binaries here are linked against ncurses.

Maybe the ncurses libraries are statically linked into nmh at compile
time....but I doubt it.

Mark "providing anectdotal info about [""|n|ex]mh since 1987" Bergman

=>
=> (My thanks to nmh's maintainers for their good work.)
=>
=> --
=> Rick Moen                                "The suffix '-bate' means 'to
lessen.'
=> address@hidden                      Yeah, we were surprised, too."
=>                                                           -- FakeAPStylebook
=>
=>
=> Nmh-workers mailing list
=> address@hidden