Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh current development

From: Josh Bressers
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh current development
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 12:33:13 -0500

>  > though.  I'll even stop whining about putting autoconf-generated in CVS
>  > (I'll still think that it's a huge mistake, I just won't say anything
>  > about it :-) ).
>
> do you think it's a mistake even if they're commited under
> non-standard names?  i agree that they probably shouldn't be
> committed under their real names, because that does cause
> confusion, and can lead to inadvertent commits.

It's never a very good idea.  Part of the problem is that the generated
configure script will get out of sync.  It may not at first, but will
eventually.  Apart from that, it's very possible someone will commit
patches against the generated configure script, this is of course
pointless, but will happen.

The correct way to handle this would be to make nightly CVS snapshots
available.  Part of the snapshot generation process would be running the
auto* bits over the checkout.

I have a message very similar to this currently stuck in the moderation
queue.  I didn't use the correct From:.  If someone could be so kind as to
just delete it when the queue is looked at.

--
    JB