Re: [Nmh-workers] outstanding patches

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] outstanding patches
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:45:54 -0400

 > There are quite a few patches on savannah or the mailing lists which
 > have never been applied. Given that people went to the effort of
 > creating these it is silly for them to go to waste. Over the past year
 > or so, installing nmh for me has meant checking the source out of CVS,
 > applying a couple of patches and building it myself.

i'd be running the CVS version right now, but the machine i'm on
is a little out of date (rh 7.2) and i've gotten behind on
upgrading autoconf/automake.  i know people don't like commiting
built executables, but i'm tempted to say that the configure
script should be an exception.  if it could at least be commited
under a different name ("configure.snapshot") then it would lower
the barrier of entry for people like me.  i have to believe i'm
not the only person who has trouble keeping up with those build
tools.  (and yes, installing a newer OS is on my list...)

 > Patch 758
this is "Set Preferred Types When Displaying multipart/alternative"

 > http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=758
 >   Though I agree that there is a need here, I think it is unwise to make
 >   the order significant in mh_profile/mhn.defaults files. So I'd prefer
 >   some alternative way to specify the ordering.

i think specifying via ordering is fine, though for backward
compatibility that behavior should probably be enabled by Yet
Another config option.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 50.9 degrees)