Re: [Nmh-workers] gnu arch revision control system

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] gnu arch revision control system
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:27:40 -0700

Chad Walstrom <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden wrote:
> > Has anyone had a look at the gnu-arch revision control system?
>
> Currently, I'm using it for all of my Debian packages.  I'm planning on
> migrating my personal GNATS development to it, and synchronizing with
> the savannah CVS repository.
>
> It's a paradigm shift from classic CVS management -- the commands are
> not really one-for-one with CVS --  but I think it's worth it.

Do you know how it compares to Subversion or p4? What is its maturity?

I've recently started using Subversion at work and like it a lot. It's
very much like p4, but better. It's very similar to CVS, except that you
can move and copy files and directories with ease and with preservation
of history; you can perform a lot of operations directly on the
repository with URLs. Because operations are atomic and a single log
message applies to a group of files, I've found that the ChangeLog has
become obsolete. A "svn log" on the root directory provides the same
information.

But this is all a bit off-topic since we're sort of limited to what
Savannah provides.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD