ngl-devel

Re: [ngl-devel] Very nice but very slow

From: Sebastien Metrot
Subject: Re: [ngl-devel] Very nice but very slow
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:10:43 +0100

Hi Vince ;)

nuiEditText doesn't use the nglFontLayout directly and we found that constructing a nglFontLayout object is painfully slow as hell. Even with that we currently draw the glyphs one by one which is far from efficient for the video card. Going from nglFont1 to nglFont have been quite a perf hit for nui. Maybe we are not using it correctly and you could advise us after a quick look at the code?

Sebastien

Vincent Caron wrote:
More than 30% of time was "wasted" these functions. I think especially nuiGetVal can't get so much. I'm going to find some sort of "caching" for this function.

There is something wrong with these numbers : nuiGetVal() only get called in widets constructors, it only affects the initial frame. Also only nuiLabel uses the newest nglFontBase API and it's heavily cached, calls from nglFont1 (in nuiEditText for instance) should be much more expensive.