ngl-devel

Re: [ngl-devel] Very nice but very slow

From: advertsux
Subject: Re: [ngl-devel] Very nice but very slow
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:28:53 +0100

Great, almost two-times faster :o)

But 7 FPS is still very low, i will try to understand library a make some performance tuning.

I started with quickly set profiler and got these results:

       Func          Func+Child           Hit
       Time   %         Time      %      Count  Function
1252,490 12,2 1305,109 12,7 15819 nuiGetVal(class nuiXMLNode *,class nglString,float) (nuiflags.obj) 1205,943 11,8 1249,593 12,2 3360 nuiGLDrawContext::DrawShade(class nuiRect const &,class nuiRect const &) (nuigldrawcontext.obj) 1143,250 11,1 1143,250 11,1 26956 nglFontBase::GetGlyphInfo(class nglGlyphInfo &,unsigned int,enum nglFontBase::GlyphType) (libngl.dll)

More than 30% of time was "wasted" these functions. I think especially nuiGetVal can't get so much. I'm going to find some sort of "caching" for this function.

Martin

Sebastien Metrot wrote:

Hi!

Thanks to me being under heavy jet lag, I found some time to fix a lot of performance issues in NUI tonight. All of the problems had to do with text rendering. There are still some problems left and I think i'll find some time to do it soon! (nuiEditText needs to be rewritten using nglFontLayout, nuiFontBase should be a bit smarter when it comes to texture management and rendering, etc...).

I'm adding these changes to the CVS right now.

Let me know if things are getting any better for you. (text rendering is what is really killing nui right now, we really need to implement a better solution to render a collection of glyph FAST, it's easy but still has to be done ;).

Sebastien

advertsux wrote:

I'm running Windows XP Proffesional, Detonators 52.70. I understand that NUI is not fully optimised, but score is very low. I'm going now to experiment a little bit more with NGL - maybe something is wrong with my configuration.

Martin

Sebastien Metrot wrote:

Hi Martin!

I haven't had much time to work on NUI lately and there sure have been some speed degrading changes in the last few month. I plan to track them down and fix. Of course we could also use some help as profiling rendering and other CPU hogs is not trivial.

What OS are you using?

Sebastien/MeeLoo

advertsux wrote:

Hi guys,

first of all let me thank you for NGL/NUI library. I was excited by it's (NUI) screenshots. So i download 0.7.10 version a try to compile it. About six hours of experiments ended up in reading mail archive, configuring CVS, downloading fresh sources, exploring new README and finally installing stlport, againg compiling and viola - i got it :o) Than i tried nuiTest and i see some problems with speed. Am I getting something wrong or 5 FPS are normal on WXP, MSVC6, ATHXP 2000+ and GF4 Ti4200?

Regards,

Martin Sliwka