nano-devel

[Nano-devel] about support for more than 16 colors

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] about support for more than 16 colors
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 21:44:22 +0100

Op 01-01-18 om 21:56 schreef address@hidden:
On 01/01/18 12:04, Brand Huntsman wrote:
The 16 color names should remain for 16-color support.

Right.

But supporting "255,255,255" is a terrible idea, how would you do a background color? "black,white" -> "0,0,0,255,255,255"?

The foreground/background delimiter doesn't need to be a comma.

It is a comma when using color names, so it better be a comma when using
color codes.

Could just as easily be an underscore (thus 0,0,0_255,255,255) or any other character that makes things legible and is easy/safe to process.

I would just use hex codes: #000000,#FFFFFF.  But if the decimal method
is wanted too, then it'll have to rgb(0,0,0),rgb(255,255,255).  It's too
verbose and too cluttered in my opinion, but if people absolutely *want*
a decimal method...

Is it possible for nano to query the 16/256-color palette?

One person I know of blogged about this in detail and actually /did/ come up with a way to probe the actual capabilities of the terminal and see what was actually possible

URL?

I wouldn't use a true-color image for my desktop background on a 16-color monitor, so why would I use a true-color syntax on a 16-color terminal emulator?

Because in the future nano might come by default with such a syntax?  We
might decide that some syntaxes could use a few more colors and convert
those syntaxes to the 24-bit format.  But when doing that, we must of
course take care that they degrade gracefully when used on a 16-color
terminal.

Benno