nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working at statusbarw/ALT_KEYPA

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working at statusbarw/ALT_KEYPAD on xterm
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 14:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

Jordi Mallach:
>It works for me, using the Debian package:
>
>^W, scribble something and home end works ok.
>
>Xterm, ncurses version: 5.3.20030510-2
>
>Applying your patch makes it not work, unfortunately...

Looking at the documentation added by the -2 diff pointed me in the
right direction:

http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html#xterm_pc_style

The problem here appears to be that nano should be in cursor application
mode (via keypad(window, TRUE)) while the statusbar prompt is being
used, but isn't when in ALT_KEYPAD mode, and hence generates the wrong
key sequences for Home and End.

With current CVS, ncurses 5.3, and nano with -K, if I manually check
"Enable application cursor keys", it fixes the problem in bottomwin but
breaks it in other places.

Using these results, I've recreated the patch.  Now it forces cursor
application mode on in the bottomwin window in nanogetstr() and turns it
off after reading the input, which appears to fix the problem, at least
in my preliminary testing.

However, I don't know whether this is due to a bug in ncurses 5.3 that's
been fixed in 5.3.20030510-2 or not.  I've read the NEWS file for
ncurses-20030510, and the only explicit mention of a keypad() bug is
between ncurses 5.2 and 5.3.

In any case, does the new patch still break nano for you?  All other
input routines besides the edit window input routines force cursor
application mode on for at least some windows (the file browser: edit;
the help browser: edit and bottomwin), so I'm wondering whether what the
patch adds is correct behavior or not.