myexperiment-discuss

RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] Skinning myExperiment

From: Don Cruickshank
Subject: RE: [Myexperiment-discuss] Skinning myExperiment
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:21:50 +0000

Hi,

All of the configuration options for a "skin" are in stored in a format that
allows the system to easily read/write and reset.  This is in anticipation of a
web page to allow end users to configure how each customised view of
myExperiment behaves.

The two particular template files (the page template and the associated CSS
file for it) are HTML and CSS respectively, though it will require some form of
whitelisting as they contain Rails' template language (ERB).  I'd be happy to
let people we know and trust to edit these.

Here's a list of things that can be configured for each customised site:

        * The site name
        * The site logo
        * The page template (which is the "skin")
        * The style template (which is the CSS for the skin)
        * The base URI (e.g. http://www.myexperiment.org/ or
http://elico.myexperiment.org/)
        * The main tabs that appear
        * What appears in the "new" menu
        * The search categories  (so that some categories won't appear in the
search results)
        * The email addresses used for email notifications and messages
        * Which stats appear on the home page

Being able to specify what can appear on the news feed would fit in well with
the other options here.

Regards,
Don.