myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Scientists sharing data: towards a database o

From: Duncan Hull
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Scientists sharing data: towards a database of everything
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:58:47 +0100

While we're waiting to get hold of that Scientist article, here's another along similar lines recently published in BMC bioinformatics (open access, no subscription required!)

Data publication: towards a database of everything
by: Vincent Smith
BMC Research Notes, Vol. 2, No. 1. (2009), 113.

The fabric of science is changing, driven by a revolution in digital technologies that facilitate the acquisition and communication of massive amounts of data. This is changing the nature of collaboration and expanding opportunities to participate in science. If digital technologies are the engine of this revolution, digital data are its fuel. But for many scientific disciplines, this fuel is in short supply. The publication of primary data is not a universal or mandatory part of science, and despite policies and proclamations to the contrary, calls to make data publicly available have largely gone unheeded. In this short essay I consider why, and explore some of the challenges that lie ahead, as we work toward a database of everything.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-2-113

---
http://duncan.hull.name