myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] New user data: how?

From: Linde, A.E.
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] New user data: how?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:39:36 +0000

This is a question I raised a while back but now need to sort out. There is a piece of information I need to store against each User in their Profile or Account details that will be used in the Spacebok variant of myExperiment. But rather than just this single piece of information (as it happens, the endpoint for that user’s annotations triplestore), I think we need a solution for anyone extending myExperiment to store extra information.

I guess the solution needs to be either procedural or functional:

Procedural: in that there is a way in which changes to the database structure can be retained by the extended codebase without being overwritten by future changes to the core codebase.

Functional: such as a 3rd party field in each table where those creating extensions can store data (eg in a text field which contains XML data with something like <3rd Party><App1><app1 data.../></App1><App2... /></3rd Party>).

What do people think.

Thanks,
Tony.

--