mug-discuss

Re: [Mug-discuss] mugs of humour

From: Nick Hill
Subject: Re: [Mug-discuss] mugs of humour
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 23:58:50 +0000

Ciaran O'Riordan wrote:
What apps can I use to edit 'mug_1pint_motifs_v0.1.sxd'?
anything other than OpenOffice?

Where are you, and what system do you use?
I may be able to send a CD.

I'm just across the water in Dublin, Ireland.  I'm running Debian
GNU/Linux i386 Unstable which I last updated about a month ago (before
my ISP cut me off).

Is there actually a requirement for the label to be a .sxd file?
or it that just the source file for making a .png?
...and so, could I just use GIMP?

the SXD file is an XML file describing vector graphics, text, graphics and other data. The GIMP edits bitmap graphics, not vector.

one more thing: is there any reason for only using black & white?
There's a good GNU head in colour:
http://www.gnu.org/graphics/reiss-head.jpg

Printing costs and complexity increase with more colours. If the mug can look good in mono, then the reduced cost/complexity will be worthwhile. If a much nicer design has to be colour, then we should use colour.

When I get some spare time I'll make & submit a proposal
for a mug...

Thank you.

If you don't have any compatible CDs I hope to be back online
sometime in March.  Is there any deadline on this project?

Send your address off-list. I will post a CD of a recent OpenOffice distribution to you. Let me know if there is anything else you need (deb packages etc). I will try to include those.