moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] a new mozbonobo plugin

From: Christian Glodt
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] a new mozbonobo plugin
Date: 10 Aug 2003 14:05:29 +0200

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 10:41, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> Luca Padovani wrote:
>
> >Now the other question arises naturally: is it possible to
> >"access" mozilla from the plugin? For instance, is there any way to make
> >mozilla load a new page when, say, you click in the plugin on something
> >that is, or should behavs like, a link? This is a very common situation
> >in MathML, SVG or even PDF documents.

That's very much possible, and Macromedia Flash does it all the time.
In fact, there are quite a few functions available to the plugin, see:
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/manuals/2002/plugin/1.0/npn_api.html

Also, the plugin can execute arbitrary javascript code in the browser
by posting a "javascript:" url.

> This is a very interesting question. The answer should be yes of course
> but it will need some new code in mozilla-bonobo, I suppose.

Yes, some more code will be needed.

> If nobody else writes that, I'll do it when I'll be back home (september).
The main problem that I see is the interface definition. Is there a
standard Bonobo interface for things that change the URL of their
container? I don't think that's part of Control or Embeddable.

If that means that we need to design our own Bonobo interface, then we
need to be very careful - interface design is hard. In that case I'd
also like to have input from other hackers (gnome-hackers list for
example).

[snip]

> Here is the sample taken from the HTML 4.01 recommendation:
>
> ><P>
> ><OBJECT id="clock1"
> >        classid="clsid:663C8FEF-1EF9-11CF-A3DB-080036F12502"
> >        data="data:application/x-oleobject;base64, /...base64 data.../">
> >    A clock.
> ></OBJECT>
> >

> However, I could not make anything analog work with mozilla and
> mozilla-bonobo.

It would be worthwile to know if it works with other browsers and other
plugins...

Cheers,

Christian Glodt