Re: [Monotone-devel] nested workspaces

From: J Decker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nested workspaces
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 18:17:08 -0800

I found this works very well with monotone.

monotone will see the sub project in the subproject and the overall
when outside; unless you specify the root directory which many command
have the option for.
It includes by default ignoring _MTN, so adding that project you will
have to specify to ignore the ignores.

For tracking purposes, I avoided doing commits to the main project and
only commited in the subproject, and used propagate to merge the
changes to the main... then I could double check I didn't miss a
commit by doing a diff on the parent also....

You can construct a main project from a sub project by using the
pivot_root feature; create a new root directory, and then pivot the
root to that, so the existing project becomes included as a directory.

NEVER propagate from the overall project to a subproject.

You can really only keep the _MTN/revision information because options
contains workspace specific information... which becomes somewhat of
an issue updating the checkout of the subprojects to get a good
options file.

I do think this confuses other programmers as noone was able to
continue without always asking how to propagate.

I thought it would be easier to have a project that maintained a
structure between the subprojects so they could have some knowledge of
each other through the master project... but it really isn't.  Each
part should build itself into a installed state, and the other
projects should target that installed information instead of direct
sources.