Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync over ssh revisited

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync over ssh revisited
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 16:53:39 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 06 Sep 2012 08:35:35 -0400, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> said:

stephen_leake> Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> > In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 06 Sep 2012
stephen_leake> > 04:56:45 -0400, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> said:
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> > stephen_leake> Attempting to generalize/abstract a naming
convention:
stephen_leake> > stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> > stephen_leake>     ssh {host} socat - UNIX-CONNECT:{path}
stephen_leake> > stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> > stephen_leake> I'm not clear what's a protocol and what's a
transport here; it seems to
stephen_leake> > stephen_leake> me the actual data exchange protocol is always
mtn (that defines how to
stephen_leake> > stephen_leake> exchange certs, keys, revisions, and possibly
authentication), and both
stephen_leake> > stephen_leake> ssh and unix domain sockets are transports.
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> > You're right, it was poorly expressed.  Say
{transpport}+{tunnel}
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> The Unix domain socket is not tunneling the ssh transport; socat
is
stephen_leake> bridging the two transports.

I was seeing it the other way around, that ssh is used to tunnel the Unix
domain socket.

stephen_leake> I'd have to see a list of all the protocols mtn supports to try
to come
stephen_leake> up with a reasonable classification. Which is what your manual
update
stephen_leake> will provide, so I think that's the place to start.

mtn:    (netsync via tcp)
file:   (netsync via --stdio)
ssh:    (which is basically file: tunneled through ssh)
ssh+ux: (Unix domain socket via ssh)
         as a argument to --bind, and is the way a server should be
         set up to be accessible via ssh+ux:)

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/