Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync over ssh revisited

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync over ssh revisited
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 08:35:35 -0400

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 06 Sep 2012
> 04:56:45 -0400, Stephen Leake <address@hidden> said:
>
> stephen_leake> Attempting to generalize/abstract a naming convention:
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake>     ssh {host} socat - UNIX-CONNECT:{path}
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> I'm not clear what's a protocol and what's a transport here;
> it seems to
> stephen_leake> me the actual data exchange protocol is always mtn (that
> defines how to
> stephen_leake> exchange certs, keys, revisions, and possibly authentication),
> and both
> stephen_leake> ssh and unix domain sockets are transports.
>
> You're right, it was poorly expressed.  Say {transpport}+{tunnel}

The Unix domain socket is not tunneling the ssh transport; socat is
bridging the two transports.

I'd have to see a list of all the protocols mtn supports to try to come
up with a reasonable classification. Which is what your manual update
will provide, so I think that's the place to start.

--
-- Stephe