Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Project separation

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Project separation
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 17:27:47 +0000

Lapo Luchini wrote:
CooSoft Support wrote:
Hmmm just a thought... But at work we are using 0.39 (can't use a later
version as the schema changed and the latest monotone-viz just runs too
slow (pre 0.40 one could use the direct access to db version of
monotone-viz)).

I wonder how much would it take to update the "direct access" code; the
schema has changed, but not *that* much... but you're using a pre-1.0
monotone-viz, I guess, or is direct access still in there, just not used
by default?
Yup pre 1.0. I remember thinking `oh great that means I won't have to recompile it again etc'... until I ran it up... :-(. Presumably all it's doing on the mtn front is a graph and then querying the revisions to get certs etc, neither of which are slow (mtn-browse can do 1000's of revisions in a few secs). Trouble is it is written in Ocaml and it is completely impenetrable, to me at least, otherwise I would have had a good look and found out what was causing the issue. I thought it might be that the mtn subprocess was restarted on each call but apparently that is not the case.

Anyway we have about 18k revisions, 10k tags and about 4k branches
(guess from memory). Doing a full sync on the entire db with no changes
to propagate takes about 10mins. However if you just sync the release
branches (~200 branches) then that takes about 15 seconds but as Lapo
says pulls in about 99% of the branches just not their certs.

10 mins versus 15 seconds? Wow! 0_o
I'll do some timings - remembering how long you wait for something is very subjective... Especially if you are in a hurry!

Cheers :-)

Tony.