Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Project separation

From: CooSoft Support
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Project separation
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:13:50 +0000

Lapo Luchini wrote:
Thomas Keller wrote:
I already brought up the idea on IRC some time ago - I am looking for a
way to restrict allowed incoming revisions on the server-side.

I've got an idea, which might well be orthogonal to yours (or be the
same, really?), but could have some use: by default use the branch
filter only to find the root of the graph, and then bring it all.

Right now we have a (huge) graph spanning over some 30 branches but,
since most of them are merged in mainline already, in fact pulling
"nvm-only" *already* brings in the bulk of most of those branches,
*except* the branch certificate.

This way they're not polluting the "mtn ls branches" (which is good) but
OTOH we're really liars about that, because we *already* have 99.9% of
the bload of those branches, with the only exception of the name.

We might thus (as an option, or by default) mean "pull nvm" as "pull the
ROOT element which was named 'nvm' plus all of its children, in any
branch whatsoever".

OTOH if some feature branches are adding huge files and then deleting
them before mainline landing, we're probably *not* pulling that bulk
right now; but I wonder how often does that happen in a fairly
well-behaved project.

Hmmm just a thought... But at work we are using 0.39 (can't use a later version as the schema changed and the latest monotone-viz just runs too slow (pre 0.40 one could use the direct access to db version of monotone-viz)).

Anyway we have about 18k revisions, 10k tags and about 4k branches (guess from memory). Doing a full sync on the entire db with no changes to propagate takes about 10mins. However if you just sync the release branches (~200 branches) then that takes about 15 seconds but as Lapo says pulls in about 99% of the branches just not their certs.

I know I know :-) that was 0.39 and quite frankly unless you are the build manager, why pull in all branches? But something to think about unless this has changed in the more recent versions of mtn.

As I said above the choice of 0.39 is not going to change in the near future for that team but I will, just out of interest, set up my own server with 0.99.1 migrate across and then get some timing figures and post them here as this point could now be a red herring.

Tony.