Re: [Monotone-devel] Question for Windows automate users

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Question for Windows automate users
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:40:43 -0500

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 08:25:40AM +0100, Zbigniew Zagórski wrote:

> Not good idea IMHO. If there should be any option here it should be
> monotone-wide and be something like --line-ending={native,CR,LF, CRLF}
> (or unix,windows,mac). But that's pandora box we don't want open. It
> was discussed several times without any reasonable result other than
> it's a minefield.

Handling line-endings specially would seem to have all the technical
difficulties of using different difference and merge algorithms for
different file types but few of the benefits.

Yes, I can imagine using end-of-line conventions as a first case when
we plan to go on to merging XML files while preserving mesting
structure, merging compressed files by uncompressing, merging, and
recompressions, perhaps even merging Microsoft Word files.

These would be very useful.  The drawbacks involve disasters caused
by misidentifying the file type.

But until we intend to handle the problem in general, I say leave it
alone.

-- hendrik