[Monotone-devel] you may wonder what the hell I was doing recently ...

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: [Monotone-devel] you may wonder what the hell I was doing recently ...
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 12:53:06 -0800

... when you see the giant chain of patches that just landed on nvm
and that probably should have been on a branch first.  I apologize.  I
didn't realize that I ought to be working on a branch until it was
much too late to turn back.

What you see represents the end of a yak-shaving chain; my original
goal was to make it possible to write (optional) Lua drivers for unit
tests so that I could unit-test the new asio-based network I/O layer
I'm working on.  It seemed necessary first to separate the actual unit
test code from the main body of the source, and in order to do that
sanely I needed cleaner boundaries between code-with-unit-tests and
code-without.  Hence the big long series of patches, which accomplish
the separation but not the new Lua drivers.  I'm still planning to do
that but I've been working on this since Friday and I need a break.
What just landed does have the nice property that far less code is
being recompiled for unit testing (since all but a few of the unit
tests use only public interfaces).

I don't think I broke anything, but the possibility exists
(particularly missing #includes in various files).

zw