Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-0.41 compile failure with glibc(disabled-n

From: Philipp Gröschler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone-0.41 compile failure with glibc(disabled-nls)
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 19:10:58 +0100

Markus Wanner schrieb:
Hm.. I'm unable to reproduce this issue on my virtual Gentoo 2008.0 box.

I'm using these USE flags in /etc/make.conf:

# manually prevent unneeded stuff
USE="-kde -qt3 -qt4 -gtk -gnome -nls"
(as long as I don't manually give --disable-nls). So I'm guessing my
glibc is still compiled with nls. How do I check?

Gentoo's sys-libs/glibc is "resistant" to many use flags, I am still trying to guess where this could be overridden. Recently I tried to compile it with "hardened" use flag, which wouldn't suceed until setting the portage profile to a hardened one. Seems like the system is protecting the user from messing around with the core libraries and the toolchain.

Another flag which seems to be overridden is "nls" so it could definitely be that your glibc build still includes that.

Just try
# emerge --info
and take a look at the listing of active useflags somewhere at the bottom of the output.

If you have app-portage/gentoolkit installed, try
# equery uses sys-libs/glibc
to see which use flags apply to your current glibc build.

Greetings!

Philipp