Re: [Monotone-devel] Server status

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Server status
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 10:42:53 +0100

Philipp Gröschler writes:
> Richard Levitte schrob:
>> The mystery is what made the server freeze.  I've no clue and the logs
>> aren't leaving any clues either.
>
> I am using dedicated/colocated servers for quite a while now, and such
> behaviour sounds familiar to me. It could be anything from a slight
> power fluctuation which made the system instable (have an eye on the
> power supply for the next weeks) to almost about anything related to
> defective hardware. If the logs don't say anything, this is mostly the
> case.
>
> Or, put short: sometimes *they* just do that ;-) And then it never
> happens again.
>
> Heads up!

The Ada-France server is also a dedicated box (the provider actually
calls it a "dedibox") and also had a hardware failure last month.  It
took two weeks to resolve the issue by ordering a replacement
"dedibox".

For low loads such as monotone and Ada-France, I personally advocate a
virtual machine (preferably OpenVZ or Virtuozzo, which don't have the
overhead of a full emulator) running on a shared server with good,
redundant hardware over a low-end dedicated server.

--
Ludovic Brenta.