Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Security

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Security
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:12:35 +0200

Zack Weinberg wrote:
I used the terms "sender" and "recipient" deliberately; as Ethan says
downthread, the server itself is not a trusted entity in this
architecture.  Or, more precisely, security decisions are intended to
be made at checkout time, not at propagation time.

Ok. But as I just said to Ethan, I was thinking about one specific threat. In that page I wrote I mention other threats where the server is the bad guy (sender).

Your example about the BSDs was interesting though. I had not thought of a scenario like that, where the server is actually /supposed/ to have untrusted code (e.g. FreeBSD code which is untrusted by OpenBSD).

Make more sense now?

I think we are on the same wavelength. You gave a good example where the security check really belongs at checkout time and not at propagation time. Please keep in mind that I was thinking about one specific attack. I was not intending to speak in the abstract.

Daniel.