Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance Issues With Version 0.40

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance Issues With Version 0.40
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 16:28:31 +0000

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 00:50 +0100, Anthony Edward Cooper wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>     I have recently been trying out version 0.40 of Monotone with the
> application I'm developing (uses the automate stdio i/f) and I noticed a
> very noticeable drop in the performance of the get_content_changed
> command. I use it, not surprisingly, to get last changed details for
> files in file listings and file histories etc. When compared with 0.39
> or earlier, it is approximately 5 times slower.
>
>     Is someone already looking at this or should I raise a bug report?

Running lots (500) of get_content_changed commands thru automate stdio,
it seems to be around 1 1/2 times slower here. There's about a 46%
speedup from hand-coding decode_hexenc (instead of using Botan), about
38% from making the db variable in the get_content_changed command
static (I think most of this is because initializing the db each time
includes verifying the schema each time), and about 8% from hand-coding
encode_hexenc. Together these bring it back to about the same speed as
in 0.39, but making the db static is just a performance-test hack and
not a proper solution.

>     Secondly, if I want to add a utility to the contrib directory under
> net.venge.montone can I just submit the revision on the head or would
> you like a separate branch that someone in charge can merge in? I have
> write access already as I have been developing on two other branches but
> just wanted to check first. The utility is just a very small perl script
> (not the larger application I was referring to above) so I guess it will
> be one file added, the README file in the contrib directory updated and
> something added to the news file (or does the build manager do that bit?).

Just add it, I don't think anyone here is that picky.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net