Re: [Monotone-devel] case insensitive file names

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] case insensitive file names
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:43:40 -0400

Brian May <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Levitte wrote:
>> stephen_leake> Second, why does 'update' care if some files are
>> stephen_leake> missing? They will be restored or not as appropriate by
>> stephen_leake> the update anyway. In the current use case, this check
>> stephen_leake> just gets in the way. I'll start another thread for
>> stephen_leake> that.
>>
>> No, 'update' doesn't restore files, it merges changes into files that
>> exist in the workspace.  If that change is a rename, it needs the
>> original file to perform the rename.  If the change is a few added
>> lines somewhere, it needs the original file (which might have been
>> changed in the workspace as well) to make that change.
>>
> I suspect the poster might be thinking of CVS, where update will
> restore missing files.

Ah, thanks. I was not consciously thinking of that, but that is the
origin of my discomfort with monotones behavior.

> In CVS the usual procedure for reverting a file is to delete it and
> the run cvs update.

Right.

> To the best of my knowledge not applicable to any modern system
> though. Generally most systems use revert. The assumption being if you
> deleted a file, you had a good reason for doing so, and don't want it
> suddenly reappearing.

That's true. Which is why I think mtn should not require an explicit
'mtn drop' for user deleted files; it should be implied.

My actual use case was this: if I have a workspace that is nominally
at the head of branch 'main', and I start messing around, then realize
I really should be working on branch 'experimental', I want to do:

mtn "just switch to experimental, and don't bother me!"

which is approximated by:

mtn ls --missing > files_i_deleted.log

mtn revert --missing

mtn update --branch experimental

some_painful_shell_script.sh files_i_deleted.log

I'd rather just do 'mtn update --branch experimental' :).

--
-- Stephe