[Monotone-devel] 'undo commit' aka 'kinda-safe kill_revision'

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] 'undo commit' aka 'kinda-safe kill_revision'
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:41:15 +0200

Well, I'm not sure we want such a command... but at least to me and to
people frequently hit by the 5-second-after-the-commit "dammit, I forgot
such and that!" it could have some use (I personally hate to do
"cleaning up commits" with comments such as "Ooops, forgot to add this
file and to delte that one.").

Right now the UI is:
1. 'mtn log' or something to know PARENT_ID
2. manually editing _MTN/options to put the PARENT_ID
3. 'mtn db kill_rev_locally'

And if 2 is forgot mtn brags in a "strange" way (strange to the newbie,
of course).

The could be one way to have a "fairly safe" revision-killing system:
adding a boolean value to each revision in the database, with the
meaning of "was already sync'ed at least once".

This way 'mtn undo_commit' could automatically do the 3 steps outlined
above if the current revision was never sync'ed, or say something like
"this revision was already sync'ed so it can't be simply undone, you
have to execute kill_rev_locally on each and every of the sync peers".

Just an 8-in-the-morning idea I had on the bus...

    Lapo