Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: (minor) BSD build issues...

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: (minor) BSD build issues...
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 17:49:28 +1000

On 27/08/2007, at 2:13 AM, Lapo Luchini wrote:

William Uther wrote:
  ii) The BSD buildbots are failing the refiner_various_counts unit
test.  It looks like an out of memory error.  Are these build bots
ulimited?

Yes they are, using "softlimit -d256000000". From "man softlimit":
   -d n   Limit the data segment per process to n bytes.

Is much more needed with latest changes?
On the i386 I could think about increasing it, but on the amd64 one it
would be a problem.

I don't understand why they'd need even that much.

The test that is failing can be run manually by running:

./unit_tester refiner:various_counts

I did that on my machine and looked at top while it was running. It got up to 100Mb (the entire process, executable, libraries and data). So your 256Mb for data alone should be plenty. (I just tried running the test with ulimit -d 256000 on my box and it works ok...)

I don't suppose you have something like "time -l" that you could use? You might need to specify /usr/bin/time so you don't get the shell builtin. That should return the high-water mark of memory usage for you.

Be well,

Will         :-}