Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker ba

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Announce: DisTract - Distributed Bug Tracker based on Monotone
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:16:13 -0400

Bruce Stephens spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Paul Crowley <address@hidden> writes:
> > The big win is really having version control at all.  Treating each
> > bug as a collaboratively edited document is just the Right Thing; it
> > means that history and merging are correctly handled, reducing the
> > number of "mid-air collision" complaints in a natural way.
>
> Yes, that makes sense for bugs that are particularly active.  I'm just
> thinking of how we use bugzilla and Trac at work, and conflicts over
> bugs just don't happen: the existing approach of adding comments to
> bugs works just fine.

For the record, the Pidgin project has been complaining about mid-air
collisions in trac recently.  This is fed, I believe, by our heavy use
of the Trac 'timeline' and ticket announcements via an RSS feed to
IRC; tickets tend to get nearly instantaneous eyeball time from a
number of developers, and short almost-real-time conversations
occasionally spring up in the bug comments.

I am led to wonder, however, how much distributed revision control
would help this, versus simply a different model for bug comments.
Either way, I find DisTract interesting and am looking forward to
following its progress.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.