Re: [Monotone-devel] Setting up syncs & read/write permissions on Window

From: Ken MacDonald
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Setting up syncs & read/write permissions on Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:03:18 -0400

Thank you, Thomas!
Most helpful; I'm now able to basically sync the two db's on my
computer to each other; haven't tried any complex sync exclude
patterns or anything, but this was a huge help.

It would be nice if some of the documentation had some of this info
for Windows, either as a separate section, or interspersed with the
u*x style documentation where the two differ drastically. Most of it
is pretty self-explanatory, so probably only a few spots would need
some help.

Some more comments below:

The monotone user dir under Win32 should be AFAIK C:\Documents and
Settings\<username>\Application Data\monotone\, .monotone is only used
on Unix platforms including Mac OS X.

On my system, it appeared to be looking for:
C:\Documents and Settings\<username>.<WORKGROUPNAME>\Application Data\monotone\

which is where it dumped my 'keys' directory on initial setup.

as my computer is part of a "Windows Workgroup" it seems. Perhaps if
it was not a member, C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application
Data\monotone\ would work also/instead. Anyway, moving my read- and
write- permissions into that directory allowed the sync to proceed.

If the database is on the same machine, you might want to sync via the
file:/ protocol which got added some time ago. You shouldn't need to
configure any permissions if you access the db like this.

Nice, but there doesn't seem to be anything regarding this in the
documentation. I'll search it in the mailing list archives, but it
would be great if the doc got updated when interesting features are
added.

> "address@hidden", and got this error:
>
> C:\kippers_km\main>mtn --db=c:/mtn_jj/sardines/sardines.mtn sync
> address@hidden "net.cti.kippers
> " -k address@hidden

Does address@hidden resolve to the machine (@-domain) or
are you trying something else here? In case its the latter, it won't work =)

Bingo. As it turns out, instead of address@hidden, I
should've had the machine name, which turned out to be something
COMPLETELY different, ala:

desktop1.our-domain.net

Also, I had messed up the branch-inclusion pattern - might be worth
tossing a message if the pattern doesn't really match anything in the
db you're syncing with?

> I'm afraid we'll be stuck with using CVS.

Nah, you don't have to go the devils way =) Your problem should be solvable!

Thomas.

Better now. The threat of CVS has been beaten back for the moment.
Sanity prevails temporarily.
Thanks again,
Ken