[Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:18:20 -0700

Bruce Stephens wrote:

More than that: that's an important feature, not a bug.  I shouldn't
be prevented from committing to a tree just because its owners haven't
(currently) allowed me to.

So is there something you aren't describing, to do with how all this
gets enforced?

Enforcement is indeed a key issue, as you and others have noticed. The thing to remember is that even if we use terms like "ACL", there's really no single resource to control access to. There's a cloud of resources, each with its own physical owner.

The point of this work is not to change the trust model of monotone. You still have final say on what happens with your computer, bob still has final say on what happens with his computer.

The point is to make it easier to do three things:

  - Write trust policies (both update-trust and netsync-trust)

  - Share trust policies across a workgroup automatically

  - Learn about the policy in force across a workgroup such that
    you don't personally commit policy-violating work that will
    only be rejected by everyone else.

IOW there will always be a "commit --force" command, because it's both immoral and technical nonsense (outside of DRM+PKI fantasy-world) to try to prevent someone from committing a file to a disk they own using a free software tool. You could always just comment out the line of code that enforces (or "suggests") policy on commit, after all!

There will also always be the possibility of pulling some revs and applying "different policy" to them than the original authors were operating on. So there's no change to your right to make forks without telling your upstream; again it's sort of technical nonsense to leave such a feature out. But such a right doesn't make shared policy useless: if you break policy X, everyone who has their monotone set to "follow policy X" will stop dealing with you. Just like now, only with more automation for sharing.

(I'm making bold statements-of-fact here about what "will be", because I think everyone who's bothered discussing this work up until now has agreed on this stance; if I'm misrepresenting your views of course speak up)

-graydon