Re: [Monotone-devel] [bikeshed] once more on bookkeeping dirs...

From: Patrik Husfloen
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [bikeshed] once more on bookkeeping dirs...
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 12:54:48 +0100

</lurk>
Let me get this straight, the leading dot (ie ".SVN") is just a trick
to make it hidden on Linux/Unix right?
Don't carry that onto windows, if you want it hidden on all platforms,
use "." on the platforms where it is appropriate, and use the hidden
attribute on windows, and so on for all supported platforms.
The leading dot doesn't do anything but screw up Web projects in
VStudio, which I agree is lame, but this is what I have to work with
on a day to day basis.

I agree with whoever mentioned that just one folder in the root is
good, having ".SVN" (or actually "_SVN" due to the hacked client)
sprinkled all over my folders is annoying.
And as long as the directory name is unlikely to collide with
something already in place does it really matter what it's called
(this would probably mean that rather short and generic names as 'MT'
might be inappropriate, MT-Workspace perhaps, or something to that
effect)?
What shell doesn't have auto-complete nowadays anyway? :)

As for configuration settings, follow the platform standard, AppData
on windows, ~ on Linux, etc.
Sure all of this requires more work, but there should already be an
abstraction layer for platform quirks anyway right and your end users
will be happier because your software respects their platform.

/Patrik