[Monotone-devel] cvssync branch feedback

From: Matt Lavin
Subject: [Monotone-devel] cvssync branch feedback
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:02:38 -0400

Let me start by saying that the cvssync branch is the best CVS history preserving converter I have used. If you are targeting monotone as the new SCM then cvssync is heads above tailor.py in terms of speed and correct file generation. I got exactly what I wanted from the cvssync branch in almost the first try as compared to working the tailor.py over the course of a week to finally just give up. Specifically, cvssync seemed to handle the use of modules and deleted files/directories much better than tailor.py.

Here are the only, minor, issues that I ran into when using it:

1. The format of a cvs repository is address@hidden:/repodir when using remote directories and twice, out of habit, I used :ext:address@hidden:/repodir instead. This caused me to try to login to the server as :ext:username which I didn't notice until I tried my password many times. This is a very minor problem because it's probably the result of just not reading the doc. However, a very simple improvement would be to check for a leading ":ext:" in the user name and warn (or fail) telling the user that 99.999% of the time this is not right.

2. When using the --since argument on a repository that has many deleted files in it I get many errors in the following form:

warning: cvs checkout: warning: `<insert file here>' is not (any longer) pertinent

The "warning" confused me for a second, but the files in the database were all correct after the import. Since this warning is not displayed when importing an entire history it is a bit confusing to see if when only importing a partial repo. Maybe just changing the comment to say "if the file was deleted then ignore this warning" would have made me a bit more comfortable.