[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone automate stdio

From: Bruno Hertz
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone automate stdio
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 19:27:56 +0200

Joel Crisp <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi
>
> Just a small comment; maybe a format using the numeric prefix familiar to us
> all from RFCs like
>
> 200 OK UNKNOWN test/foo
> 201 foo.h
> 201 foo.c
>
> etc.
>
> This format is more likely to be parsable with existing libraries and is
> familiar to people who have worked with other
> software.
>
> Joel
>
> Timothy Brownawell wrote:
>> There've been some requests for a way to run multiple automate commands
>> without needing a new monotone process for each. There's now a new
>> command, "monotone automate stdio" that takes automate commands on
>> stdin. Currently, it prefixes the output of each command with the line
>> "###BEGIN <command>###" and follows it with one of
>> "###END <command>###", "###ERR <command> usage###", or
>> "###ERR <command> msg <message>###" depending on whether the command was
>> successful, was invalid, or encountered some other error.
>> Tim

Depends on where you want that thing to go, i.e.

* network protocol, like http, smtp ...
* scripting facility, like sed -e 'blah1; blah2;'

Although the begin,end stuff resembles awk syntax, I'm not sure what
you're aiming at with those primitives. If you want some kind of basic
exception handling or transcation wrapping, why not try/catch
resp. transaction start and commit clauses?

Regards, Bruno.