[Monotone-devel] Re: Whole branch disapproval

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Whole branch disapproval
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 13:01:25 +0100

"Zakirov, Salikh" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am using Monotone for my personal convenience, i.e. for managing
> private changes before they are committed to employer CVS
> repository.
>
> In doing this I often create new branches just for one CVS commit.
>
> This has a drawback of choosing new name for the branch each time.
>
> Another common usage pattern is to try different changes, which are
> reflected as multiple heads in the branch.
>

> Could anybody give me an advice on
>

> 1. How to get rid of obsolete branches? Particularly, I'd like to
> see less items in 'monotone ls branches' and be able to reuse names
> for new branches.

You can use the hook 'ignore_branch', which means that ls branches
won't show it.

Provided that nothing interesting depends on any of these branches,
then you could netsync the interesting branches to a new repository.
However, if you propagate from these obsolete branches to non-obsolete
ones, then you're stuck.  Your usage is probably OK, though, and
sounds rather similar to the way I work (you use a branch to prepare a
change, and then commit it to CVS, and from then on, the branch is
dead).  However, currently you need to name them appropriately because
of how 'collections' work (there's no way of netsyncing foo without
netsyncing foo*).

There's no way to delete branches or revisions, at present.

> 2.    How to "disapprove" the whole branch? I have multiple heads in
> the branch, and I'd like to disapprove all revisions on one of the
> development lines since the fork.

Hmm.  Don't know.

[...]