Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: sqlite versus metakit

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: sqlite versus metakit
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 20:08:27 -0700

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:09:23AM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> I've no idea.  My guess would be that it wouldn't be worth it, but I
> could well be wrong.  The trendy thing to do would be to replace
> sqlite with git in some way, I suspect.  That might also be worth
> considering.

The advantages of git over sqlite as a storage backend are that git is
not transactional, would provide less flexibility in data layout, less
flexbility in efficient access (things like indexed lookup), and has
a more impoverished data model than monotone anyway (no certs, no
changesets).

So... barring some new argument I'm missing, it's probably not worth
considering for very long :-).

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."