[Monotone-devel] Newbie questions

From: Robert Leftwich
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Newbie questions
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:34:59 +1000

I have just started using Monotone and I have a question or two. Firstly, it is not as easy as I would hope to detect when new files are created and are not yet under version control, i.e. monotone status does not list them, I need to use list unknown - requiring at least two operations to get the full picture. A VCS that does not list new or deleted files in its main status command seems somewhat counter intuitive to me or is this a fundamental mind shift I need to make?

Secondly, maybe I'm abusing Monotone a little, but in one project I have a very large number of generated graphs that I don't need to include under version control, so I've added that directory name regex to the ignore_file() function in .monotonerc. While this works as expected, in normal operation it slows things down dramatically, especially when checking for newly created files, but it impacts almost every operation. Is there an alternative set-up or some command switch or function I can use to get Monotone to truly ignore the graph directories rather than traversing them each time? Note that I've tried symbolic links but Monotone appears to follow those as well.

Robert