Re: [Monotone-devel] Revert working copy changes

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Revert working copy changes
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 13:19:09 -0700

On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 02:46:21PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 04:35:05PM -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> > How do I revert the changes to one file in my working copy? The CVS phrase
> > is...
> >
> > rm foo.c
> > cvs up foo.c
>
> monotone diff foo.c | patch -R -p0
>
> It works on CVS too, and it's cleaner than your approach ...

Ew, this is exactly the sort of CVS scar tissue that we would like
_not_ to emulate :-).  A common, conceptually simple use case deserves
a simple command -- hence "monotone revert", as someone mentioned.
(Which also works if you've done adds/deletes/renames, which patch
would have more trouble with...)

OTOH, I have used variations on this trick with monotone.el and
Emacs's diff-mode to do things like temporarily revert single hunks
:-)

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."