[Monotone-devel] Re: Trying to understand the ideas behind cherrypicking

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Trying to understand the ideas behind cherrypicking...
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:37:15 +0000

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:42:09 +0000, Bruce
> Stephens <address@hidden> said:

[...]

> monotone> I don't much like "transplant", but I'm not quite sure why.
>
> I love it, and I'm not quite sure why :-).

It's growing on me.  Nathan's suggestion of splice also seems OK.

> monotone> Why not just use an optional argument (or arguments) to
> monotone> propagate?
>
> Because it seems to me that this would break the current command
> structure of monotone.  Besides, propagate is meant to work as a
> one-way merge, which is quite different and really creates a very
> different situation for later merges.

I see.  I guess I'm thinking from an Arch perspective.

In Arch there's no special command for cherrypicking: there are
commands for applying changesets to the working tree, and you
cherrypick by specifying specific changesets rather than a branch.
Then you fix up whatever needs fixing, and commit the result.  Of
course, if you do further changes before committing then you'll end up
with a changeset that's a mixture of merging and further work, which
can cause problems.

> monotone> OK, propagate (like merge) doesn't currently work on a
> monotone> working tree, so that doesn't quite work, but I think that's
> monotone> probably wrong (and Graydon seemed to agree).
>
> With that sentence, I didn't quite catch what part was wrong, but
> then, english isn't my native language, so I may be missing a nuance
> there...

No, I misunderstood your intention.