monit-dev

Re: Suggest using libESMTP Was: stuff to work on

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Suggest using libESMTP Was: stuff to work on
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:36:33 +0100

Mike Fleetwood wrote:
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Martin Pala wrote:

My priority list:

1.) SMTP update (message queue + state machine)
2.) "up" event (ability to notice the bidirectional state transtition)

What do you think about it?

Martin

Please excuse me for jumping in without knowing anything about how monit
queues and sends email or understanding what changes you are proposing to
make, but would libESMTP <http://www.stafford.uklinux.net/libesmtp/> be of
use to you in implementing the functionality?

Grateful user,
Mike

Hi,

it is hard to say - i was looking on libesmtp recently, according to our smtp state machine issue.

The code is superior and seems very good, but i think it is too "heavy" in our case (we try to keep monit as simple as possible and not to depend on other libraries). Libesmtp provides perfect API for smtp sessions, but it doesn't implement message queues (which is major part of this item).

We'll see :) The implementation was yet not started, what other developers think?

Cheers,
Martin