Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] New package: restpose [pull request]

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] New package: restpose [pull request]
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 02:48:46 +1000

On 20/05/2012, at 7:52 AM, Richard Boulton wrote:

> I made a pull request 10 days ago (https://github.com/mxe/mxe/pull/40)
> for adding support for the restpose search engine server (see
> http://restpose.org/), but haven't had any feedback on it.  I'm now
> wondering if I was meant to announce it on the mailing list too?  I've
> found github alerts for new pull requests can be a little unreliable,
> so perhaps it just got missed.
>
> Restpose may not be of massively wide use yet, but I'm making use of
> it in an application I'm building, so was hoping it could get
> integrated to make it easy for other developers to get involved.

Hi Richard,

I did a have a quick look at it, and the two dependencies (plibc, xapian) seem
like they could be included immediately.

Restpose itself, however, seems to be more like an application (server in this
case) rather than a library. In general, we wouldn't include such a project in
mxe. There's no fixed policy on this, but the package should be aimed at
developers rather than end users (also a subtle nod to smaller pull requests).
Sometimes, we will include an executable (i.e. GDB), but that is clearly aimed
at developers. This isn't related to the size of the project, more that we
can't produce the deliverables of any given project (though we can help you get
there).

Github alerts are useless - we only recently switched over and I thought I'd
get an email for all activity. The rss and email feeds I had previously were
much more reliable - but git is liberating.