Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: URL problems

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: URL problems
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 16:58:22 +0200

Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On 2 May 2010 02:25, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > You might have noticed that in this case we'd have two packages
> > using the same download file: "gmp" and "gcc-gmp". However,
> > this shouldn't be a problem for the main Makefile, because
> > the dependencies ensure that "gcc-gmp" is always downloaded
> > before "gmp" (gmp >> gcc >> gcc-gmp).
>
> The only problem I can imagine would be if they had different
> checksums.

That can't happen, because both are downloaded from exactly
the same URL. So if the checksum is wrong, then something is
wrong with upstream.

The real issue is when both packages try to download the
file at the same time. That's what we need to prevent.

> I often create copies of pkg.mk files and haven't noticed
> any problems with using the same download file.

Of course you haven't, because once the complete files is
downloaded into pkg/, the "interesting" part is over. :-)

Or, more generally: The issues arise with concurrent _writes_,
not with concurrent _reads_.

> NEW      gcc  4.5.0 --> 4.4.4
> [...]
> The gcc version seems to be caused by 4.4.4 being later than 4.5.0.
> It's the refutation to the counterproof of your assumption about
> source repositories and release schemes ;)

No, this issue occurs with tags as well as releases. :-)

There's no real difference, and I use the same solution in both
cases: filtering out the old versions.

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/2e09b0dfff9f

Greets,

Administrator