Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: URL problems

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: URL problems
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 04:09:57 +1000

On 2 May 2010 02:25, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, I didn't include your "IGNORE" settings, because I
> don't think we should ignore the current versions. Instead,
> it would be great if you could try to update them to their
> current version, and check whether GCC still builds fine.

Shall do, I think I put them in with the thought that updating gcc
would generally be done manually, and was sensitive to the support
library versions. I formed that opinion trying to get TDM 4.4.1 and
mingw-w64 to work, but I don't really think that's the case anymore.

> You might have noticed that in this case we'd have two packages
> using the same download file: "gmp" and "gcc-gmp". However,
> this shouldn't be a problem for the main Makefile, because
> the dependencies ensure that "gcc-gmp" is always downloaded
> before "gmp" (gmp >> gcc >> gcc-gmp).

The only problem I can imagine would be if they had different
checksums. I often create copies of pkg.mk files and haven't noticed
any problems with using the same download file.

> In fact, this is a good test case for the download system, and
> in case it fails, that would be bug we'd have to fix. So don't
> worry on that.

I just tried a "make update" and am getting this error:

NEW      gcc  4.5.0 --> 4.4.4
NEW      gcc-gmp  4.3.0 --> 5.0.1
Makefile:205: *** Unable to update version number of package gcc-mpc.  Stop.

There isn't a log or any more details about the error.

The gcc version seems to be caused by 4.4.4 being later than 4.5.0.
It's the refutation to the counterproof of your assumption about
source repositories and release schemes ;)