Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gdb support

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gdb support
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 14:38:50 +0200

Hello Mark,

I hope you remember the GDB discussion some time ago.

Mark de Wever <address@hidden> schrieb:
> Volker Grabsch wrote:
> >Mark de Wever <address@hidden> schrieb:

> >>Nothing except for the fact it's rather old, but the site provides newer
> >>binaries as well. For me it was easier to just compile gdb, but since
> >>there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this package I'll just use
> >>it locally.
> >
> >Please don't be discouraged just because it doesn't fit well
> >into mingw-cross-env. In such a case, it's usually a good idea
> >to publish it on your own - in your case, as a build script or
> >as a plain gdb.exe. Maybe it's useful for someone else.
>
> I'm not discouraged; a project shouldn't accept patches which don't fit
> into it. I probably will look into it later, but it's not high on my
> priority list.

Meanwhile I have been conviced by other clever people to loosen
that policy. So nowadays we do build some kinds of *.exe files:

    1) helpful tools provided by some libraries (e.g. psql.exe, guile.exe)

    2) our own test scripts (test-*.exe)

So in contrast to my previous statement, I now think that GDB
would fit very well into mingw-cross-env.

In addition, I think that GDB should be linked statically,
such that one can carriy _one_ file (gdb.exe) around, and
nothing else. The current MinGW build of GDB depends on
libexpat-1.dll ...  WTF?! ... and why does one need to
download that separately?

So it would be great if you could provide again your "gdb.mk"
file, adapted to the current GDB version. If you don't have
a $(PKG)_UPDATE section, just leave it empty and I'll fill
that in for you.

Thanks in advance!

Greets,

Administrator