[Mingw-cross-env-list] Do we still need a plain text README?

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Do we still need a plain text README?
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 14:43:50 +0100

Dear mingw-cross-env supporters,

I'm currently wondering whether we could abandon the doc/README,
and I'd like to get some opinions on that.

The main documentation is and will always be doc/index.html,
from which the doc/README is generated automatically during
"make dist" via a text browser dump.

On the one hand, there is the long Unix tradition of providing
plain text READMEs for everything. People might be diappointed
if they grab a source tarball that doesn't have a README.

On the other hand, every plain text fan can browse the
doc/index.html with the favourite text browser, and will
get exactly the same information. Also, every source file
points to doc/index.html, so you can't really miss it.

So what do you think?

Greets,

Administrator
NotJustHosting GbR